Cape Blanco is the westernmost point in Oregon. Until a government survey found a remote point further west in Washington, Cape Blanco was thought to be the
point farthest west in the U.S. It is, however, the westernmost point accessible by automobile. A Spanish expedition reached Cape Blanco in 1603, and the
first lighthouse was built around 1870. The original 50,000 candlepower light was a five wick kerosene lamp. In 1910 the kerosene lamp was replaced by
bunsen lamp that used a mantle instead of wicks although it was also powered by kerosene. Today the light is a 1000 watt electric globe that can be seen
22 miles at sea. Not only is Cape Blanco the westernmost point in Oregon it is also
the windiest with gusts up to 100 miles per hour during winter storms.