Heceta Head Lighthouse was named after Bruno Heceta, a captain in the Royal Navy of Spain, who explored Oregon's coastline in 1775. Construction of the
lighthouse began in 1894, and started service in 1894. It's original light source was a live wick coal oil lamp and was visible for 20 miles. A gas light
was installed in 1910 and later gas was replaced by electricity. The lighthouse and caretaker's house (which is reportedly haunted) is one of the most
photographed scenes on the west coast.