Located 3 miles north of Newport, Yaquina Head Lighthouse is one of the most beautiful lighthouses in America. After its completion, the light was first
lit on August 20, 1873. At that time the tall majestic tower stood alongside the keeper's two story dwelling, a barn and outbuildings. The first keeper,
Fayette Crosby, served here for two years before beginning service at the Umpqua River Lighthouse in 1857. The lighthouse was automated in 1966, ending the
era of station attendants.